If a recipe has the word "pizza" in it I'm on board. Pretty much no questions asked. So when I came across this casserole recipe on Pinterest I knew it was going on our menu for the week.
So... here's what everything looked like straight out from the store...
... and here's the amounts that I used.
What You'll Need
- 1 pound browned sausage
- 1/2 package refrigerated biscuits (4 biscuits.. about 8 oz)
- 2 oz pepperoni (about half a package.... cut into quarters)
- 8 oz pizza sauce
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Italian seasoning
Dave browned the sausage for me while the kids helped me measure and prep the other ingredients. They ALL want to help with dinner and on nights where we have a little extra time I try to oblige them as much as possible.
I sliced the biscuits into 4 strips each and then gave Mason a pair of scissors to snip them into bite size pieces.
Next, Luke cut the pepperoni into quarters...
Look at that concentration!
That was really all the prep required so next everyone had a turn pouring in the pizza sauce...
... biscuit pieces...
... and tomato sauce in with the sausage (browned and drained).
We stirred it all together...
... and poured it into a casserole dish that I had sprayed with pam. I sprinkled on a bit of Italian seasoning and then we popped it into the oven at 350 for 25 minutes.
When the 25 minutes was up we pulled it out, topped it with 1 cup shredded mozzarella and put it back in for 15 more minutes.
15 minutes later and it was done!
My entire family gobbled this up. Partly because it had pizza in the name. Partly because it smelled AMAZING. But mostly because they all had participated and were excited to taste what they had made.
A couple of notes...
- When I was about to put away the extra ingredients I realized that I had everything I needed to make a second casserole... so I did. I was short a teeny bit of the pizza sauce, so I just subbed in a bit more tomato sauce and it was perfect! If you're making this, plan on making two (that way you don't end up having to find another use for half the biscuits, sauces, pepperoni, etc.) and make one for a friend or freeze it after you bake it.
- The original recipe called for mushrooms and olives (neither of which my kids like), but you could really add in whatever protein(s) or veggies that you like on your pizza. I think that next time I make this I'll add in some peppers and mushrooms to the second casserole for me and Dave. This would be amazing with a pound of diced ham and some chopped pineapple... really any pizza combo.
If you try the recipe out let me know what you think! If you come up with a great pizza combo send it my way :) Happy Wednesday, Friends!!